Sunday, December 03, 2006

Lake Pontchartrain

Last weekend I discovered the lake; well not in the way we say Columbus discovered American or anything quite that dramatic, and previously I knew it was there, in fact I had even ridden over the lake via the longest bridge a few weeks before; but, last weekend I not only figured out how to get myself to the lake, I found a place to walk that is peaceful yet populated enough to be safe.

The lake is so large, you can't always see across it. The water is brackish; I could clearly detect the faint scent of the salty sea. There were seagulls, cormorants and little sand pipers, all of which are so familiar. It reminded me of home! Yet, it was neither Narragansett beach nor bay, nor was it near Cape May. In the midst of the familiar water fowl were peculiar pelicans and strangely beautiful black ducks, reminding me that I am some place new.

The lake handed me a concrete symbol of what New Orleans has been like for me. It has in many ways felt familiar, comfortable and like home; but in just as many ways it is different, new and intriguing. It is the brackish water containing the elements of the salty sea, mingled with what is fresh and new to me.
One side of the road is closed near the lake making it a one way since the Hurricane.

It has already been pointed out to me, that I am updating this a day later than usual. Friday night was a "freeze night." I did not get any sleep at St. Jude shelter because about 30 people came in for the night from the streets. Had I attempted to do this yesterday, there would probably be even more typos and careless errors due to sleep deprivation. Which reminds me, if you notice serious mistakes on my blog, feel free to inform me so I can edit them. I always proof read before I post but sometimes when I reread them weeks later I notice glaring errors.

Last night and tonight were declared freeze nights as well; fortunately more people are able to help with freeze nights, so I did not have to stay. I enjoy staying with the people and find it an opportunity to get to know the people we are trying to assist. I do appreciate not having to do all of them because it takes me a couple of days to recover completely.

Friday night, a gentleman was picked up by the outreach van and brought to St. Jude community center with those experiencing homelessness. It was pretty obvious to me, that he had Alzheimer's or a similar form of dementia. After several attempts and questions, we were able to get the first and last name of his sister in another state; with his permission we were able to obtain her phone number from 411, and she provided phone numbers of his children in New Orleans, who had been quite concerned about him since he had wandered away from home hours earlier. They happily came to get him.

Thanks to all who sent cards and greetings to me recently! It was great to hear from you.

Happy first Sunday of Advent!

No comments: