Thursday, March 22, 2007

Patrick, Joseph, "Indians," Vietnamese New Year

I really do work hard while I am here. I don't typically go into details about what I do, because of client confidentiality, so it only seems like I spend all of my time celebrating. The celebrations and gatherings help to balance out the frustrations I face daily while trying to house people in a city that lacks housing, and trying to refer people for services that are scarce. Instead of boring you with complaints and frustrations I want to share with you my experience of recent celebrations which are essential to the local culture.

Saint Patrick
On Saturday there was a parade held in New Orleans. I attended with a few of the sisters. We sat at the corner of Magazine and Washington Ave, thinking we were at the beginning of the route, but we were really towards the end. Before the floats there were many men who were dressed up walking by and handing or throwing beads and fake green flowers. Most of the men were drunk and rather disorganized. Finally, the floats came and the people riding on them threw: cabbages, carrots, potato, onions, Irish Spring soap, many many Mardi Gras beads, and a variety of other "throws." The parade was surely a lot of fun. When I told my father about the parade, especially of the "throws", he laughed; apparently they neglected to teach him these Irish cultural traditions when he was a child in Ireland!

Saint Joseph
The previous weekend I went to a small St. Joseph's Day parade held in the French Quarter on Saturday evening. They threw mostly Mardi Gras bead, and little plastic Italian flags.

The St. Jospeh altar is a popular New Orleans tradition which the Sicilian immigrants apparently brought with them. In order to thank St. Joseph for favors throughout the year people either in their homes or church set a table with breads, fish, fruit, wine, candles and cakes. The food is blessed and traditionally given to the poor. The St. Joseph altars I saw were beautiful.

Indians
The African American community began a tradition, I was told as a way of honoring Native Americans who helped them escape slavery. African American men make there own elaborate colorful costumes which typically include feathers and bead work. The costumes were gorgeous! They form tribes, such as the Ninth Ward Navajos and on "Super Sunday", the Sunday before St. Joseph's Day (I'm not sure why that day) the tribes gather for ritual, dance, and parade the down the streets. What a wonderful event!

Vietnamese New Year
One of the sisters I am living with, works at the local seminary. She invited me to go with her to a celebration that the seminarians had planned in honor of the Vietnamese New Year. The celebration began with liturgy, was followed by delicious appetizers, a dragon dance, a tasty Vietnamese meal, entertainment which included children signing, a magician, and another singer, and concluded with the children leading everyone in an English song about community. It was another memorable celebration which I am grateful for having experienced.

On Monday night I spoke with a group of college students from Utah who are here volunteering during their spring break. I spoke mostly of the plight of the homeless in New Orleans and the housing situation. It was a pleasure to meet such a delightful group of young people. There are so many volunteer groups coming to help in so many ways. I have met people from all over, all of whom are here to help. What a blessing!


Please keep my grandparents in your prayers.
My mother's father recently fell and broke his hip; he had surgery and is in a hospital in Florida.
My father's mother recently fell and broke her rib; there is not much that can be done for a broken rib; my aunt is caring for her.
Thank you!

No comments: