Friday, August 14, 2009

Visit

Last weekend I had the opportunity to visit New Orleans. A friend was making final vows as a Sister of St. Joseph; the liturgy was beautiful. It was wonderful to be back. I stopped by UNITY; they are all still very busy doing outreach to those still experiencing homelessness in New Orleans. I spent time with many of the Marianites, and stayed in the house( actually the same bedroom) where I had lived. It was truly a gift to be there to spend time with friends and see the city.

On Sunday I was asked if I would go with a few of the Marianites to put together packets for the LCWR (Leadership Council for Women Religious) gathering which is being held in New Orleans this year. Interestingly, it was at the LCWR conference three years ago, when sisters from New Orelans shared about their experiences one year after Katrina, when Anne Marie my provincial, got the idea of asking me if I would be willing to volunteer there. Certainly when I think of that I can see that the hand of God has been at work throughout my experiences of the past three years.

Today I came across statistics which indicate Louisiana to be one of the worst states in terms of children's homelessness. Such statistics urge me to want to return to New Orleans where the needs are still so great. Of course there are other reasons I sometimes desire to return as well, although some of them are harder to name. For whatever reason, probably a variety of reasons I felt like when I was there I was somehow at my best.

I am once again filled with gratitude for the experience I had while living in New Orleans, for the recent visit, for friendships formed there, and for the many people like those at UNITY who continue to do such good work.

No comments: