Sunday, April 01, 2007

Data Alligator

Data
For the past couple of weeks much of my time spent at work consisted of putting information into one of our two data bases. One of the data bases is required for all agencies that received Katrina Aid Today money the other is the Homeless Information Management System which I believe is required by all agencies which receive money from UNITY of Greater New Orleans. In some ways I feel like we do the same work three times, because first of all the information goes into the old fashioned paper file, then much of the same information must be entered separately into each of the two computer systems. I find that I am very inefficient in doing this type of data entry. The time spent in front of the computer has meant spending less time trying to meet the needs of current clients or encountering new ones on the streets. In my opinion this creates an additional barrier to adequately addressing the needs of the most vulnerable of people; I do understand that it is currently necessary because without funding agencies could not even try to meet any of these needs. Such barriers are common in social services, especially here in Post Katrina New Orleans. Despite the barriers, I was able to obtain necessary documentation and advocate for a client who has been chronically homeless who by the end of the week moved from the streets into a supportive housing program.

Alligator
No matter which city I live in, I think it is healthy if not necessary to get out of the city from time to time. Yesterday I went to Jean Lafitte National Park, Barataria Preserve to walk, think, pray and enjoy the beauty of creation. It is a wonderfully amazing place! The wildlife along the trail was abundant. Looking down from the wooden platform into the swampy water I could see craw fish, frogs, turtles, snakes and even several alligators including a baby! There were some brilliant wild iris blooming. A quick but heavy rain storm left me quite drenched; but the warm southern sun soon dried my skin and clothing. I left the park feeling refreshed, centered, and peaceful. It is through nature that I most easily fall in love with God.
http://www.nps.gov/jela/barataria-preserve.htm

Palm Sunday
Some of the palms given out at church were just the ones I have seen "up north." Others were large palm branches that may have actually been cut off of local palm plants.

When I arrived for liturgy at the parish this morning, the pastor asked if I had ever been the narrator for the passion reading. I replied, " a long time ago", recalling being the narrator when the fifth grade CCD class did the passion readings at St. Mary's Star of the Sea in Narragansett at a 10:30 Palm Sunday mass at least 22 years ago. Because I can read, and assumed the priest was desperate to be asking at the last minute, I agreed to do it. He handed me a booklet with the passion readings. I opened up to the first one to preview it in preparation. It was only moments before I needed to get up to the pulpit that, I realized that I should not assume that the first passion reading is the correct one for this year and decided to check it against what was in the missalette. At first I was looking in a old missalette which did not contain this weeks readings. Finally as the reader was finishing the second reading, gratefully I found out which reading it was and while approaching the lectern discovered it in my booklet. Unexpectedly I was also asked to help with communion at the very last minute as well. There was something very touching about the diversity of the people who approached for communion.
As if the liturgy was not filled with enough surprises on the way out the door, a women who had seen the sisters get out of the car (which my parents are lending my community for me to use) and had noticed the Rhode Island license plate began to talk with me. Although originally from Connecticut, she lived in Rhode Island for many years and knew one of my aunts. Small world!

May you have a holy Holy Week!

By the way, data and alligator rhyme in Rhode Island and in New Orleans but not in Pennsylvania!

No comments: