Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Holy &Easter Weeks: death and resserection



This Easter week, I am aware that there are many ways I experience dying and rebirth, death and resserection in my own life and recognize it in the lives and stories of others and of the city where I find myself.

These days have been quite busy; I neglected to post a blog last week. It was not for lack of interesting news to share but for being so caught up with all of the interesting events that have occurred.

On Wednesday of Holy Week my twin sister arrived for a week long visit. She wanted to do some volunteer work while here; she was very helpful organizing and cleaning the kitchen at St. Jude shelter. She was able to come on the outreach van on Monday as well.


On Good Friday we participated in a Social Justice stations of the Cross. Different groups prepared different stations. They were all very well done, connecting the traditional station of the cross, with a particular issue of social justice, and with the location in the city. For example for the second station we stopped in front of Charity Hospital, which pre-Katrina treated the uninsured and poor, and has since been closed. The committee for the reopening of Charity Hospital pointed out how the poor are carrying unnecessary crosses when they are denied health care. Each station was unique, and powerful.
A picture of closed Charity Hospital.

The following day we walked in the 10k Crescent City Classic which began in the French Quarter took us through the Central City Business District (CBD) and ended in City Park. It was an unusually cool day especially for April in Louisiana, but that was better than the heat and humidity that people said they experienced previous years. That evening we attend at wonderful Easter Vigil liturgy at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish; several people received sacraments during the mass.

On Easter Sunday Kristin and I prepared a traditional Irish Easter meal for ourselves and four other people (2 of the sisters from next door and 2 others.) For desert we went to the convent next door, where neighbors and friends gathered.

We spent some time seeing the sights on Tuesday. She left on Wednesday morning. I truly enjoyed her visit. What a wonderful Easter weekend.

New Orleans feels like an especially appropriate city to celebrate Easter at this moment in history because it has experienced the cross and is the gradual process of resserection. I see evidence of both all around me everyday.

On Tuesday night, CNN went out with a few of my coworkers to do a story on homelessness in Post Katrina New Orleans. On Thursday night we gathered at the home of someone who works in the Unity of Greater New Orleans office to watch the segment. It did not highlight our agency as some had hoped, but did bring attention to the fact that there are currently many living on the streets who were housed and could afford rent before the storm. I am glad this issue is at last getting some national attention.

There has been much going on within the community where I am staying. The mother of one of the sister's died and many of us attended the funeral; please keep her and her family in prayer. Yesterday many of the Marianites of Holy Cross had a wonderful jubilee celebration honoring those who have been in religious life for 25, 50 and 60 years. The celebration re-energized me, further strengthening my commitment to religious life. I enjoyed meeting many of their sisters; I told the Marianites from New Jersey I would invite them over for dinner when I return to Philadelphia. (Please remind me to do so.)

Speaking of returning home, I am very excited that I have been offered a clinical social work position at Drueding Center Project Rainbow, the transitional housing facility for homeless women with children in Philadelphia where I have previously worked in other positions. When I think about the position I am very excited, believing that it is a good match for my skills and experiences, a position that will be appropriately enjoyable and challenging at a facility I believe really does have a positive impact on the lives of many. While my body fills with excitement at the thought of returning to Philadlephia and taking this position at Rainbow my eyes fill water when I think of leaving behind this city, and the many people I have grown to love during these past six months. I anticipate that I will leave New Orleans in a month from now; I anticipate that it too will be an experience of the paschal mystery.

As you can see, pictures have returned to the blog. Special thanks to my dad who sent me a camera which he know longer uses so that I can take pictures to share with you.


I took this picture of wild Irises when I went to Laffitte Park with Kristin.

No comments: