Sunday, April 22, 2007

NPR & Mississippi

NPR
On Monday evening several of my coworkers were accompanied by a reporter from National Public Radio, as we did outreach, visiting the people living in abandoned/inhabitable buildings, or under highway bridges/overpasses here in New Orleans. The segment on the increase of homelessness in post Katrina New Orleans is to air nationally on Weekend Edition, (it may have been on this morning, but more likely next Sunday.) If you hear it please let me know what you think (remember you can post a comment to this blog.) It was fascinating for me to get a sense of what goes on in producing a story for public radio, especially because I almost always have NPR on my car radio because I feel I learn much from the insightful stories they produce. What is most exciting is that people all over the country will hopefully grow in awareness of the reality of the housing crisis left by Katrina. May that awareness somehow lead to change!

MISSISSIPPI

Early yesterday morning I drove to visit a good friend, who was in the Redeemer Ministry Corps program with me in 1996-1997. Christianne currently lives in Mississippi with her husband and two children. It was wonderful to reconnect with her, and to spend time with her family. We visited the zoo in Jackson, ate Catfish and hush puppies at a local restaurant, talked, and of course laughed. This morning we went to her parish church; after mass I observed her children's religious education program which was interestingly based on the Montessori method. I am grateful for the time I spent with her, for her friendship, and the hospitality I received. What a great weekend!



I have appreciated all the support I have received the entire time I have been here. As I prepare to leave and begin to bring my work to closure, I would be especially grateful for continued support/prayers. Thank you. Have a great week!
Love,
Kathleen

No comments: