Sunday, April 29, 2007

Winding down

Well, I only have two more weeks of work at Unity. I have started trying to transition some of my clients to new workers. It seems as though I keep seeing more and more homeless people on the streets. The work will never be done. There are some individuals who are now housed who I have worked closely with. The problems won't get better until the city has more resources, such as emergency shelters, social services, jobs that pay livable wages and especially affordable housing.

On Saturday I went to a workshop for new members of religious communities. It was held at a Monastery on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain so that the cloistered sisters in formation who live there could attend. The workshop was informative, the grounds were beautiful. It was interesting to meet sisters from such a diverse range of communities. Honestly, I realized that I had some misconceptions about sisters who are cloistered and wear very traditional habits, but I truly enjoyed the conversation that I had with a young cloistered sister. She seemed interested in my work as she prays for people who are homeless but does not have direct contact with people experiencing homelessness (or very many people at all usually). Although I could never imagine myself being called to that lifestyle (I would end up climbing the walls), I think I am invited to value their prayerful presence in our world more that I previously have. It was another interesting experience.

Today I attend a special liturgy at the cathedral celebrating vocations. It was enjoyable. Oddly enough, I have been to at least the same number events at the cathedral here in New Orleans in the past six months, as I have the cathedral in Philadelphia where I lived for the past ten years. Just as the city has a unique spirit so does the diocese.

I am filled with gratitude for all that I have learned during these past six months, and all of the experience I have had. I am looking forward to reconnecting with community, and friends when I return to Philadelphia. But, please be patient with me during my time of transition. Thank you.

Love, Kathleen

No comments: